Read Hebrews 11:7
What do you learn about Noah?
- God warned Noah about something unseen
- Noah reverently feared God
- God instructed Noah to build an ark so he and his household would be safe
- Became an heir of righteousness by faith
Read Genesis 6:5-7:24 and answer the following questions:
- Who did the Lord want to blot out? Why?
- Who did he want to save? Why?
- How did God plan to blot out everyone on Earth?
- How did God plan to save Noah and His family?
- What did God tell Noah to do?
- How did Noah respond to God's command?
Noah's Obedient Walk
Can you imagine Noah's surprise when God told him to build an ark because he was going to destroy the whole Earth with a flood? The size of the ark alone would have been enough to make Noah question God's instructions and run away in fear. Then think about Noah's friends as they saw him begin to build this tremendous boat. I can imagine the laughter and taunting as they walked past Noah's gigantic construction each day. Think about the seeds of doubt they probably planted in his mind during the many years of construction.
But Noah didn't run away in fear. Noah didn't let seeds of doubt keep him from obeying God. He trusted God in the unseen and lived a life of obedient faith. Hebrews 11:1 says that real faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
- Has God asked you to do something recently that requires trusting in the unseen? If so, what is it?
- Does trusting God and walking in the unseen cause you to be fearful? Why?
- Will you choose today to walk in fear or faith?
There have been many times in my life, and I'm sure in yours that you've had to act in faith. As I think back on those times, I am reminded that each time God has shown me step-by-step what to do next. I've never been given the entire plot, but what I have always been sure of is the faithfulness of God. Someone once told me that people only see down the street, but God sees around the corner. God has walked in all our tomorrows and is ready for us to join Him there in faith.
Noah walked out his faith by obeying the Lord's command to build an ark. What ark is God asking you to build today?